Wednesday, December 22, 2010

People from our past...

Here at Monet the designers are constantly pouring over pictures of our past and turning our archives into an updated collection.  But, it's not often that we at Monet get the chance to speak to people from our past.  

When Anna received the below email it was like an episode of This is Your Life...
Dear Mr. Goepp,

My daughter, Denise, contacted your assistant, Anna, and she gave us your e-mail address so that I could share with you my happy memories of working at Monet, some 50+ years ago.

When I worked at Monet, from 1953 to 1956, it was located at 32 W. 32nd Street and I want to tell you what a truly enjoyable experience it was.  During that time I married and only left my job in 1956 because I was about to give birth to my first child.  I worked in the office and Mr. Pearlstein was my boss (looked like Oleg Cassini with that mustache!)  I performed secretarial duties, took dictation and sent out letters from Mr. Pearlstein and Ms. Lambert.

Some of my other responsibilities, which I loved, were to show the new Spring and Fall collections to the salesmen and arrange the jewelry in the showroom display cases.  I'll never forget the day Bess Myerson, the former Miss America and host of a popular TV game show, came in and I helped her pick out some jewelry as prizes for her show’s contestants.  That was a lot of fun, but, I have to say, one of my favorite things was whenever I was called downstairs to Michael and Jay Chernow’s office.  Apparently, I had the perfect neck back then, so the designers, along with the Chernow’s, liked to see how the necklaces looked on me in order to decide how long to make the chain...it was exciting and made me I feel very important!

I bought quite a bit of Monet jewelry in those days, for myself and also as gifts...it was all quadruple plated in silver or gold.  I want you to know, it all looks as good today as the day I bought it.

I went on a cruise recently and thought one of my silver sets would look great with a new grey blouse.  I’ve attached the picture so you can see some of Monet’s finest from the 50's...I enjoy it as much today as I did back then!

Let me know if you would like to see some more pictures of my classic Monet jewelry.

Continued success...

Sincerely,

Pearl Decker

See, the truly special thing about this email, besides how darn cute Pearl is (and is that the most perfect name for someone in jewelry or what!?) but, what really tickles me is how much she enjoyed her time working with the company.  The memories she has in her short 3 years are still with her today, as is her jewelry.

Michael and Jay Chernow were the brothers who started this company, back in 1929, and Pearl was lucky to have worked with them, in fact, modeled for them!  

It sounds like Pearl had a blast with the company, as I do, today.  Looks like nothing has changed.

2 comments:

  1. How nice of Pearl to share her story! So many wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, such a great story! It is wonderful that she still has all her old pieces.

    ReplyDelete